[LAD] automation on Linux (modular approach)

Nick Copeland nickycopeland at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 23 20:06:07 UTC 2010

> > So anyway, if a new port does get defined I would personally not like
> > to see it called
> > a CV port. Automation (CA) maybe, but not CV, that confuses the issue.
>
> Hm? And how do we use the automation? By mouse or by hardware MIDI
> controllers ;)?
> If the hardware MIDI controller would define the start and end point and
> cv uses a movement curve it isn't really manually control, but having a
> resolution of 14 bit for MIDI might be smooth enough and manually
> movements could be recorded by the sequencer.

I would imagine the movements of the controls in the GUI would have to
be recorded then potentially interpolated/smoothed. Isn't this how the
automated decks handle fade/mixes? If you say you want to record the
settings of a controller during playing the song then any movement of
that control is saved somewhere - then it shouldn't matter whether that
was moving the control with the mouse or having it move from a surface
control linked to the GUI device. Actually scrub that - it would just be
recording a MIDI track next to the audio track that drives the mixing
desk itself. I take it Ardour can do that anyway for any of its controls as
they can all be linked to MIDI surfaces.

Must have missed the point again.

Regards, nick.