[LAD] jack-session finally merged.

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Mar 28 11:07:48 UTC 2010

On 03/28/2010 09:32 PM, torbenh wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 12:31:10PM +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>

>> On 03/28/2010 12:24 PM, Harry Van Haaren wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Thank you for the effort you've put into this. I havent even tried it
>>> yet, (will do so
>>> when I get some time), however as a Lin-Audio user, I really
>>> appreciate this work.
>>>
>>> I will read the API, and if I understand enough of it, I will code
>>> support for these
>>> features.
>>>

>> Yesterday I tried to quickly whip up a demo app. I got into it for an
>> hour but couldn't decide if it was worth adding all the gui features
>> necessary for a simple demo.
>>
>> So far I came up with an app that load a gtk window with two buttons and
>> four sliders.
>>
>> button1: Save Session
>> button2: quit session
>>
> there is no standard way to trigger a Session Save.
> it will be session manager dependent.
>
> pyjacksm has a dbus interface. but i wouldnt consider it stable as of
> yet.

This will no doubt lead to some confusion. Is there a recommended way of
handling the session save/quit operation in app? Or should we all just
leave that to the SM app and just add support for receiving the
notification in app?

>> slider 1 = channel 1, slider 2 = channel 2 etc...
>>
>> When save session/quit session are pressed the app saves the position of
>> the sliders to a file on disk and loads it again when started if it exists.
>>
>> As a simple app it won't really do anything useful apart from demo how
>> to work with the code so I would like to get some feedback from other
>> users on what would actually be a useful demo of the code in action.
>>
>> I'm thinking along the lines of the demos apple released for the iphone
>> which while being mostly fairly unnecessary are also still perfectly
>> functional apps in their own right.
>>
>> If I can remove widgets or add only a couple more that would be preferable.
>>
> i dont really see the relation to jack session.
> only 10% of such an app would be jack session related.
> i dont really think would be a good demo of jack-session.
>
> but maybe i am wrong.
> i tend to think that patches which add session support are better
> examples.
>
> this is the patch for seq24:
> http://trac.jackaudio.org/attachment/wiki/WalkThrough/User/jack_session/jack-session.patch

That's not a bad idea. If we get a few different apps with different
languages and UI kits to contribute patches and version numbers of the
working app we would have a very useful resource and saves having to
write a new app just for demo purposes.

I will contribute a patch for jackEQ which is c+gtk2 in the next few days.

Cheers.
.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd