[LAD] More about de-normals - some test results.

Tim E. Real termtech at rogers.com
Tue May 4 00:27:50 UTC 2010

Paul wrote:
>You might want to check ardour. It has 3 denormal protection options (2 that
>are h/w based, setting processor flags, and 1 that is software based, adding
>a very very very very tiny constant value ("DC Bias") to every signal. See
>libs/pbd/fpu.cc to find the h/w stuff.

I raised MusE's de-normal DC bias to a very high 1.0e-2.
Same problem.

So I slapped some printf traces on various float data streams in MusE
 to see what was really happening.

Here are the first four float values of the buffers involved, into and out of
 the plugin:

Into the plugin:  1.000000e-02 1.000000e-02 1.000000e-02 1.000000e-02
Out of the plugin: -1.398807e-19 8.058466e-19 1.999431e-18 3.264671e-18

What comes out is a meandering, wandering series of floats which
 eventually wanders into de-normal territory.

This data eventually makes its way to Jack for audio output.

I might conclude then, that the plugin AC-couples it's input to remove
 any DC bias.

So DC input bias won't help, and likely wouldn't help either if applied
 to the wandering output. Seems only noise or other AC signal cures it.

I gather this also means we must be careful what we feed into Jack.

Haven't tested Ardour yet, but what do you think about this, Paul?
I suppose Ardour's processor flags option *must* cure it?

Still testing... Thanks. Tim.