[LAD] Is RME HDSPe AES supported by alsa?

Florian Faber faber at faberman.de
Thu May 6 05:10:46 UTC 2010

Reuben,

> Alsa exposes all 64 matrix inputs as alsa ouputs, and I don't think
> the windows driver does that. (Never played with the windows driver, so
> I may be wrong about that)

Than that's a bug in the snd-hdspm driver.

> IIRC, they put such a huge matrix on it because they designed one
> chip to slap on all their cards in that family. Saves money to just design
> and fab one chip instead of a separate chip for each unit.

It is an FPGA, so it's just a piece of firmware. If it really works to
pass along 64 playback channels instead of the 'official' 16 (I don't
know, I don't have an AES card), I really wouldn't recommend using this.
If one day the firmware gets modified to add new features, some now
officially 'unused' multipliers might be re-used and things will break.
After all, there is just a limited number of multipliers available.

Flo
--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key DA43FEF4          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net