[LAD] Rendering Softsynth Instruments To Sample Based Instruments - Automation

Guru Prasad prasadbrg at gmail.com
Tue May 11 05:27:37 UTC 2010

Thanks to everyone who replied!

@Gordon MM0YEQ
I believe you may be slightly mistaken about this. Sample-based apps
like Linuxsampler take only a fraction of the CPU usage of many
modeled pianos or softsynths. The difference is so huge, that while
I've been using Linuxsampler on stage successfully for quite some time
now, there is no way I can even think of using Bristol or Yoshimi
(given my cpu and background process context, of course) in a live
context.
  OTOH, the built-in sounds of most digital pianos/ROMplers can only
boast of 4 velocity layers, lots of compression, looping artefacts,
and only a subset of 88 notes being sampled... and these are the
boards that professional musicians are using live! Even in terms of
expression, my approach would still result in a sample that's head and
shoulders above (almost) any built-in sound out there... so I can live
with that ;) .

@Philipp
Thanks for the encouragement! I had just about begun scripting, using
Mididings (which BTW is extremely flexible and powerful... I highly
recommend it). The idea was to have each 'note on' and 'note off'
event start and end a recording, with filenames having the note number
& velocity in them. But then...

On 5/11/10, Alexandros Diamantidis <adia at hellug.gr> wrote:

> The following, which seems to be exactly what you're looking for, was
> mentioned in LAU a few months ago:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/

Thank you, Alexandros! I must have missed this completely. Yes, this
is *exactly* what I was looking for...! I'm glad that I asked on this
list.. it saved me quite a bit of effort (and I must pay more
attention to LAU in the future...)

I'm checking it out right now. Thanks once again!
Cheers,

Guru