[LAD] Looking for an introduction to rt programming with a gui

torbenh torbenh at gmx.de
Mon May 24 08:24:44 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 11:07:27PM +0200, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
> On 05/23/2010 10:22 PM, Chris Cannam wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > ... by which I don't mean to imply that I can't understand it
> > (although, with C++, there is always the possibility that I _think_ I
> > can understand it but am sadly mistaken because of some weird shit
> > happening behind the scenes).  I just mean that I can't simply read
> > it.
>
> I once read a great (and funny) article arguing that you simple can't assume
> anything about what the following means in C++:
>
> a = b + c
>
> Nothing

yeah. but if thats not a concatenation or an addition the programmer of
the operator overload should be shot on sight.

> > This may be one really serious advantage for the everything-in-C types
> > -- a competent C programmer can understand any C, whereas C++ is big
> > enough to have many different "schools of C++" which are mutually
> > unintelligible without further study.
> >
> > That's also the seed of its popularity, I suppose -- everyone can
> > write the way they like in it, and if you can't work out how to do it
> > properly, you can always drop back into C.
>
> Yeah, C rocks :-)
>
> But, the problem is that, in my experience, C++ can increase productivity by a
> factor of x10 or so over C. It's my personal experience. Very often, I have to
> consider making a choice between the two, and I often end up coding the engine
> in C and the rest in C++ or a dynamic language.

hmm.. i dont really see the advantage of writing an engine in C.
first of all you loose RAII locks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Acquisition_Is_Initialization

then you need to manage most memory yourself again....

could you explain your reasons a bit more ?

> But maybe that, with experience and methodology, one can get as productive in C
> as in C++? I suppose the guys at Gnome would agree with that..

there is a reason why gob2 and vala emerged.
writing a GObject in C is a pretty big PITA.
its probably possible to create the boilerplate out of some kind of
template.
but i am not aware of some rails/paster like framework to create this
boilerplate with a single command.

--
torben Hohn