[LAD] Looking for an introduction to rt programming with a gui

torbenh torbenh at gmx.de
Tue May 25 05:24:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:37:32PM +0200, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
> On 05/24/2010 08:47 PM, torbenh wrote:
>
> [.......]
>
> I agree with most of what was above.
>
> >> I think that some day I need to seat and work a couple of days on optimizing my
> >> Vim setup. Maybe even learn the scripting part..
> >
> > hmm... completionwise i am pretty happy with the normal completion.
> > what i basically need is jumping to a tag working with c++
> > (without :ts for selecting the right one if that method name was
> > ambiguous)
> >
> > hmmm... i will have a look at omnicomplete
> > maybe it contains the necessary logic to achieve this.

> >> I have to try this, especially the headless mode, thank you :-)
> >>
> >> However, it's not that I really like the Eclipse Java machinery. But I'm
> >> currently forced to use it, and I have to witness that source refactoring for
> >> function, class renaming, and a couple of other features are awesome.
> >>
> >> I'll give a try to Eclim to see what it has to offer in this regard.
> >
> > it makes most of eclipses awesomeness accessible.
> > while retaining the awesomeness of vim.
> >
> > i only tried it with java though. would be interesting how well it works
> > with C.
>
> Now look what just happened to me. I've been working for about 6 hours doing
> Java in Eclipse, making rather major changes. And I press run, it just works, no
> error except a couple ones that I expected.
>
> This IDE with all this syntax checking and refactoring tools (and I might call
> them bells and whistles sometimes..) produces a real "added value".
>
> That makes me think that the development environment can really completely
> change the way you perceive a language or framework. There must be something to
> do for C lovers too, be it in Eclipse or not. Maybe that's Eclim, or a lot of
> Vim scripting (patching ?) that awaits me ;-)

eclim does a lint upon every :w
you instantly get marks to errors.
it pretty much does all the error hiliting that eclipse does too.
its basically just a different frontend to eclipse.

eclipse is running inside a nailgun server and vim communicates with
it via nailgun invocations.

it will probably work similarly if you use eclipse cdt.
but i prefer to have a real buildsystem with C++
and then eclipse doesnt know about your c files.

--
torben Hohn