[LAD] Music, Undecidability, and the tiling problem (was Re: update: OT-ish: realtime 2d placement algorithms :-/)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue May 25 15:59:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer at gmail.com> wrote:

> PS: I think the "tiling problem" is actually a direct analogy to music
> making... which involves fitting together "tiles" (musical passages,
> patterns, etc) that are highly constrained in terms of "geometry"
> (pitch, key, time-signature, BPM, starting and ending pitches or
> chords). Music making is clearly an "undecidable" problem, which is
> where human creativity comes in. Can computers help us "tile" music
> more easily and therefore augment our musical creativity??

this might be how users of ableton live think about making music, and more
generally, users of computer software aimed at pattern-based music
composition/creation.

but i would submit that if you offered this description of making music to
musicians who play instruments or sing, they would find it unrecognizable.