[LAD] Looking for an introduction to rt programming with a gui

torbenh torbenh at gmx.de
Wed May 26 10:39:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 09:09:57PM +0200, Arnout Engelen wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 07:24:20AM +0200, torbenh wrote:
> > > This IDE with all this syntax checking and refactoring tools (and I might call
> > > them bells and whistles sometimes..) produces a real "added value".
> > >
> > > That makes me think that the development environment can really completely
> > > change the way you perceive a language or framework. There must be something to
> > > do for C lovers too, be it in Eclipse or not.
> >
> > it will probably work similarly if you use eclipse cdt.
> > but i prefer to have a real buildsystem with C++
> > and then eclipse doesnt know about your c files.
>
> Knowing what a huge productivity boost Eclipse gives for Java, I was a bit
> underwhelmed by CDT - but perhaps I just somehow hadn't configured it
> completely.

yeah. i cant realize any productivity boost if you take the vi interface
from me :) but since eclim maps most of the eclipse stuff into vim
i could realize the boost.
eclipses editor doesnt feel snappy to me. the other threads doing the
linting and stuff are a bit annoying, i like how eclim only does linting
when i hit :w (which i do after almost every editing step by reflex :)

the most important thing is that you can cooperate with eclipse users
while still using vim.

> (Java 'haters' would argue that Java is just such a bad/verbose language that
> you need the IDE, and IDE's are useless for proper languages. There's *some*
> grain of truth there, but on the whole I don't buy it :) )

when writing code i find vims natural completion good enough most of the
time. what i am missing is a working "jump to definition" for ambiguous
method names, when reading code.

having instant linting is pretty helpful.
and using eclim certeinly improved my python productivity too.

--
torben Hohn