[LAD] Announcing: ecaedl.pl Edit Decision List Capable Audio Playing

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed May 26 18:25:28 UTC 2010

drew Roberts wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 May 2010 12:10:26 you wrote:
>> drew Roberts wrote:
>>> I have been looking for an EDL capable audio player for a while now but
>>> have not found one.
>> I don't think there's an open-source audio player that does.
>> Mplayer has support for EDL but is using it's own homebrew EDL format;
>>
>> May I ask what you are trying to accomplish?
>
> Sure. and the answer will make much of the complexity below go away for my use
> case.
>
> I listen to some podcasts that I think it would be useful for some other folks
> to listen to as well but people being people, and these people being busy to
> boot, they never seem to get around to listening.
>
> Most of the podcasts are about an hour long.
>
> What I want to do is listen to the podcasts, mark up an edl to pull out the
> parts I think might be most interesting to them and also encourage them to
> listen to the whole thing.

I guess the easiest would be to just use http://soundcloud.com/
You can add comments on the time-line, tag regions and easily share.
see http://soundcloud.com/search?q[fulltext]=podcast for an example.

OTOH, this is not a solution worthy of being mentioned on LAD.

> I would like to give them a link to the podcast and the edl file and let them
> play the audiofile controlled by the edl.

You'll want to use SMIL for that: http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/

As for creating the SMIL-EDL; that'll be the biggest problem..
Making a SMIL template is a one-time job, but finding a good
audio-player to generate your in/out timecode is an issue. I don't know
if there's a dedicated app for that. Maybe audacity or ardour's
cue-files files can be used as a basis.

I'm pretty sure there'll be a few projects in the not too distant
futures doing this with webm + HTML5.