[LAD] Polling OSC controller

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu May 27 20:29:07 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thursday 27 May 2010 21:21:44 Harry Van Haaren wrote:
> What if we were to make a "callback-update" system, where the controller
> (read Arduino with a sensor attached)
> runs an OSC server, which whenever gets a  */<arduinoName>/poll*  command,
> returns the value of the sensor?

I don't really get the advantage you are probably trying to achieve with this.

If the app has to ask for the values, the responsiveness of the app depends on
the app, not on the controller or the bus-speed of the connection.
If you want to use OSC to connect the controller, you will most likely connect
it via network. And even 10MBits network is fast enough for a lot of osc
messages. And if the apps just have to check their input-buffer, they can react
much faster then when they have to ask for every value, even a 'get all' is
slower.

And it completely misses the point of event-driven processes. I don't want my
machine waste cpu-cycles checking for controller that haven't changed. I want
to use the cpu for audio and to immediately react on controller-changes...

> I appreciate that for this example it would seem pretty pointless, as for 1
> controller the overhead is gonna be bigger
> than the speed gained of just sending it every X ms. Concider a "big"
> ardour controller, with moving faders, leds, knobs etc

The disadvantage is even bigger the bigger the controller is. Because you will
sent a lot of messages for values that didn't change.

Unless I misunderstand your idea completely...

Have fun,

Arnold