[LAD] PCM Troubleshooting Questions

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Wed Nov 3 08:01:53 UTC 2010

Rory Filer wrote:
> It took me all day Monday to figure out how to cross compile this for my
> ARM platform and I even trashed my Ubuntu desktop in the process; that's
> how I learned what the "--prefix" switch on the "configure" program does, lol.

For cross-compiling, use something like "--prefix=/usr" for the configure
script (this is the path as seen by the program on the target system);
for installation, use "make DESTDIR=/targetfilesystem install".
See <http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/DESTDIR.html>.

> "ALSA lib pcm.c:2143:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
> aplay: main:510: audio open error: No such file or directory "

This typically happens when alsa-lib's configuration files are not
installed where they are expected; usually they are in /usr/share/alsa/.

Regards,
Clemens