[LAD] Musescore "music trainer"?

Camilo Polymeris cpolymeris at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 19:31:13 UTC 2010

Hello all,
I was a Smartmusic (http://www.smartmusic.com) user until that program
stopped working with wine. For those of you who don't know it, it is a
program that basically downloads finale files (score + accompaniment)
from a centralized server for musical instrument practice. When you
play along it uses either MIDI input or a microphone to rate your
perfomance (which notes you played in tune, and so on).
As far as I know, there is no native Linux or open source alternative.

My questions are: Do you think it would be hard to code a plugin for
musescore (http://www.musescore.org) to do the same pitch detection
and comparison with the score? Or maybe would it be better to fork the
code and make a stand-alone app, keeping it as compatible as posible?
Any experience with pitch to midi? aubio (http://www.aubio.org) could
be an option, but I haven't tried it.
I think the music repository part could be addressed later...

I don't have much time right now, but I'd like to ponder the
posibility of working on it in the future. Maybe start experimenting
in the meanwhile.

Just an idea,
Greetigs,
Camilo