[LAD] Musescore "music trainer"?

Tim E. Real termtech at rogers.com
Fri Nov 12 05:54:58 UTC 2010

On November 11, 2010 11:06:10 pm Dominique Michel wrote:

> > > There is aubionotes (http://aubio.org/aubionotes.html), which claims
> > > to do exactly what you want. Don't know how well, though. I am
> > > trying to connect it to PianoBooster, to see if that could be a
> > > solution. WaoN could also be an option, I'll try that next.
> > > Eventually, I'd like an integrated app.
> > >
> > > Greetings,
> > > Camilo
>
> Thanks for the tip !
>
> > Ok. If someone is interested: I can report that aubionotes works quite
> > well for the samples I tried (brass mostly, all monophonic). WaoN is
> > similar, maybe even better, but doesn't work realtime, it handles
> > pre-recorded samples, only.
>
> Same thing here. I think that it must use some kind of fft. The problem
> with fft and realtime is not the processing power but the time it take
> before you get a sufficient amount of samples in order to be able to run
> the fft.
>
> Ciao,
> Dominique

Exactly. I was going to start a thread asking about this. Mind if I pitch in?
Difference between lowest note on a guitar and next note is very small,
 requiring large number of FFT bins. (If you play a flute, you're lucky.)
You can put a crappy time domain style pitch shifter ahead of the
 converter to reduce this. (A good freq domain PS may have more latency.)
It's fun. With practice a normal guitar becomes a piano etc...

I've seen polyphonic products advertised claiming zero or near zero latency.
How do they do it?

I've used FFT, but when told of this delay problem, my friend keeps
 telling me no, use Laplace transforms. When I studied them (looong ago),
 I could not fully understand how to apply the knowledge.
Is there a Laplace library out there?

Wavelets? I studied those as well, but my meagre brain could not cement.

To catch the higher notes first, how about n FFTs with n samplers driven by
 n separate even-tempered clocks, where n is the desired number of notes?
For ex. 3 octaves, 36 FFTs. I forget why, but I think that didn't work out.
I think the pesky relation giving the delay kept getting in the way.
You increase the sample rate and you just end up increasing the delay
 because you need more freq bins for the same given resolution.
The delay is really governed by the smallest difference in notes you want
 to detect. In guitar's case, I found it just passes as acceptable.

Tim.