[LAD] What do you do for a living?

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Fri Nov 12 23:28:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 21:58 +0000, Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, November 12, 2010 1:55 am, Chris Cannam wrote:
> >>
> >> I like Google because they annoy Gordon, and that means more
> >> entertainment for us.
> >
> > All this anger. I suspect they rejected him at some point.
>
> I would be very surprised to learn he had ever applied there.

Actually, I turned them down - but I'm not really allowed to talk about
it ;-)

> I think actually his is the sort of complaint Google should be making
> a note of -- it's clearly made up of a number of small irritations
> that just happen to cross most of the spectrum of things he might use
> their services for.
>
> It's not that everyone else necessarily agrees with him, but that one
> person's irritations might be things that grow to be everyone's
> irritations over time, and might become things that a competitor can
> take advantage of -- just as Google originally took advantage of the
> overdeveloped search interfaces everyone else used to provide.

... and which they have overdeveloped their way right back round to.

> > Me, I've been rejected three times by Google. I'm getting used to it now.
>
> It is perhaps an unbalanced world in which anyone feels they have to
> apply more than once to the same employer.

On the odd occasion I have been turned down by an employer, I've tended
to think "Oh well, their loss" and move on.  No point making yourself
look foolish, hammering at the same door.

I would only go back to software development professionally if I was
absolutely desparate, and First Bus weren't hiring drivers.

Gordon MM0YEQ