[LAD] panning thoughts

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sat Nov 13 22:43:53 UTC 2010

Excerpts from James Morris's message of 2010-11-13 21:25:05 +0100:
> On 13 November 2010 20:18,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 06:07:22PM +0100, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> >
> >> One thing I wonder about is the exact value of the center. I've seen
> >> panning in software between -1 and +1 and a center of +/- 0 where it
> >> made a difference whether it was + or -. It's easy to get confused by
> >> stuff like that if you're a nitpicker :)
> >
> > For a panner you need L and R gain. There are certainly not
> > 0, -0 or +0 at the center. So what value are you talking
> > about ?
>
> With -1.0 for full left, and +1.0 for full right, center would be 0.0.

It seems there is no single 0.0 but -0.0 and +0.0 instead, but I'd need
to manage to compile the program to test or find the right place in the
actual implementation to see what happens. The program in question is
traverso: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/traverso.git