[LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.4.7 - The Furious Desertrix is out!

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Sun Oct 3 17:56:24 UTC 2010

On 10/03/2010 08:43 AM, Niels Mayer wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc at rncbc.org> wrote:
>> anyway, which qtractor dialogs doesn't fit on nowadays screensizes? i
>> mean, which ones are bigger than 800x600 ? please tell me
>
> http://nielsmayer.com/meego/qtractor-dialogs-meego.png
>
> Note the oversized "Options" dialog with hidden Ok/Cancel. You can't
> move the top of the window offscreen so there's no way to reach it
> other than using  kb-accels <enter> to reach "Ok" or <esc> for
> "Cancel." Also, note the spinbuttons for mixer attenuation and a few
> others clip the text displaying the value (which also happens for me
> on my Fedora/KDE4.4 desktop, but its more legible because i use a
> larger font normally).
>
> Here's how I have the screen layout/fonts customized to make things
> work on meego:
> http://nielsmayer.com/meego/qtractor-meego.png
>
> Note that to get it this way (due to oversize dialog issue) I had to
> start it on a remote X server and then setup the fonts to the smallest
> size, confirmed, exited, and then restarted qtractor on meego netbook
> display.
>
> The same results and layouts occur for both
>  qtractor      i686      0.4.6-1.fc13         rpmfusion-free-updates      802 k
> (installed using
> http://nielsmayer.com/meego/fedora13+rpmfusion+planetccrma-repos.README
> http://nielsmayer.com/meego/fedora13+rpmfusion+planetccrma-repos.tgz )
> as well as this latest version, which I compiled successfully on meego
> using development libs from the aforementioned repo hack).
>
>> yes, ALT+righ-click for drag&move a window is a X11 standard and it
>> should work on qtractor. unless meego is not X11 based, which i find
>> very unprobable
>
> <pedantic>Actuallly, the keybindings for the window manager have
> nothing to do with
> the X11 standard, since that's entirely the domain of the window
> manager. Improving on X10, the X11 standard attempted to get out of
> the way of window management by making it an application in and of
> itself (e.g. twm, mwm, metacity, kwin)  and making window management a
> protocol part of the X11 standard. Various desktop standards, from
> Motif, CDE, OpenLook and probably Gnome and KDE all have specific
> bindings, or lack of bindings to invoke the window manager within an
> application.</pedantic>
>
> I would imagine a window manager such as used in meego would not have
> a lot of keyboard accelerators for expert users given the target is
> netbooks, tablets, set top boxes, automotive/flight entertainment,
> etc.

you're right, of course, it's more like a wm issue than plain X11's. but
it also seems that meego's qt4 styling or themeing is getting in the
way, really eating up precious screen real estate.

please, try another qt theme just for piece of mind, for instance (my
all-time preferred one)

  qtractor -style plastique

cheers
--