[LAD] Some new things to play with

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 23:31:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 3:13 AM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 02:33:31AM +0400, alex stone wrote:
>
>> Fons, the rev1 is terrific, and very clean.
>
> I'm happy to hear you like it !
>
>> Any plans to provide some sort of saved or cli loaded settings control
>> for each instance?
>
> Not for the Jack apps. Rev1 and At1 are two of a collection
> of processors that will eventually be released as plugins in
> a 'rack' type of host. The GUIs and some of the internals are
> already designed to fit into that format. When that happens,
> the rack will have 'total recall' (session and snapshots),
> and each plugin type will have presets (per user).
>
> What I could do in the meantime is to provide them as Python
> classes (still with the GUI), which would allow them to be
> scripted easily.
>
>> Use case:
>>
>> If i use 8 instances of the verb for different orchestral
>> instruments/sections, it would be useful to open each instance (ala
>> bash script) and have previous settings honoured.
>
> Mmm. Using 8 reverbs for a single orchestral mix doesn't make
> any sense - unless you are doing something psychedelic (*) they
> all play in the same space. It's easy to share a reverb for any
> number of channels even if the dry/wet ratio is different for
> each.
>
> (*) Like some opera CDs from DG wich have completely different
> reverbs for the orchestra and the singers - makes me seasick :-)
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA
>
> There are three of them, and Alleline.

I look forward to trying out the host, presets and all, when it arrives. :)

Using sample libs, which can vary in the amount of "presence" that is
recorded with instrument/sections, means multiple verb instances can
bring a little more consistency across the entire orchestra. My
example is of the 3 complete Strings libs i have, where 1 has more
presence in the base samples than the other 2. So i have to be careful
not to add too much to 1, and a little more to the other 2.
(And this is also true when blending "bright" string sections with
those that are duller. the duller samples tend to need a bit more
presence, and the bright samples survive with less, but conversely,
also need EQ'ing a little, to not stand out so much.)
This is true of most commercial sample libs on the market, in my
experience, and blending string sections (including adding 2 or 3 solo
strings for a bit more of a human touch) can be a bit of a challenge
as a result, hence multiple verb instances, where a section or
instrument might be pre-verbed a little, before it joins the main
output. (and this was considered a normal practise when sample libs
were less consistent across sections than they are now.)

Alex.

--
www.openoctave.org

midi-subscribe at openoctave.org