[LAD] Some new things to play with

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Oct 13 01:13:03 UTC 2010

On 10/11/10 16:35, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 03:47:43PM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
>
>> That's 3 steps to much :)
>
> Are Linux users becoming that lazy ? :-)

LOL. It's the other way 'round: I'm using GNU/Linux because I'm lazy.
Solve things once, make a script and be done with it.

>> With git it's also easy to keep more than one repo: fi. a private with
>> all the small changes and a public where you only push out releases.
>
> I don't think that my provider (hosteurope) provides a git server.

There's a lot free git hosting services (from github over gitorious to
sourceforge,..).

>> As for the 'sudo make install' - I'm quite reluctant to run that
>> command.
>
> I can't help to spot some contradition there. You would not trust
> 'sudo make install', even if you can verify very easily what it's
> going to do (just a few lines in the Makefile).

or by running  `make -n install; echo "really continue? <CTRL-C|ENTER>"
read -n 1 ; make install`

> But you would trust
> a single-command, almost automatic update ? This can do whatever it
> wants with your system, even if going through a managed package,
> and it's less easy to verify.

Packaging happens with 'fakeroot', but yeah you have a point there.

However my motivation for bringing all this up in the first place was
not about trust but about convenience.
I do trust your code and even trust you with my door-key.
Are you hinting I should be more careful in the future with installing
your software? 8-)

Anyhow, if there's not going to be a public git or svn repo I'll just
extend my download/compile/package/install script. Actually less work
than typing this email..

Cheers!
robin