[LAD] Suggestion for diving into audio development?

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 03:27:06 UTC 2010

On 26 October 2010 23:24, Kris Calabio <cpczk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions for diving into the world of open source development?  I've looked at some source code of applications I use but get pretty lost.  Are there any simple Jack applications that have easy to read code?  I'm all for taking baby steps.  I'm also open to reading suggestions (online resources, books, anything really).

Find a small JACK app and debug it. Learn how to load core dumps in
gdb, how to step through code in gdb, and how to use valgrind. Even
just fixing small problems (ie memory leaks, GTK warnings) in GUI code
is a good baby step that can bring some familiarity to that scary
looking code you don't understand. Look at the API's of the libraries
an application is using and try and see if that app is using
deprecated functions (but also consider debian-stable users ;-).

Just start small.