[LAD] Mouse/knob interaction

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Tue Sep 7 18:34:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 13:23:17 -0500 (CDT)
"Gabriel M. Beddingfield" <gabrbedd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Sep 2010, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
>
> > This is going to stir up a bit of discussion!
> >
> > Rotary knob GUI elements - should you move the mouse in a circle to
> > operate them, or up and down?  What about side to side?
>
> My opinion...
>
> circle: no.
> up and down: yes.
> scroll wheel: yes.
> left and right: up to you.
>
> -gabriel

Hate the things. Would much prefer a neat collection of sliders and/or
spin boxes.

In the real world you grab a knob with your fingers and have real
precise *tactile* control. This is nothing like a computer
representation, so why try to fake it?

A compact 2000 step spin box would be rather hard (and expensive) to
implement in the real world, and how would it deal with direct entry of
numbers? It works perfectly on a GUI.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk