[LAD] Mouse/knob interaction

Olivier Guilyardi list at samalyse.com
Tue Sep 7 20:35:03 UTC 2010

Hello Fons,

On 09/07/2010 10:18 PM, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:

> The nice thing about rotary controls - both real and sofrware
> - is that they provide a very good quick visual indication of
> the current state, something a spinbox well never do, while
> linear controls require much more space.

IMO, knobs aren't as good as sliders when it comes to visual feedback.
Also, there's something very counter-intuitive in going up and down to perform
rotation. I know people are used to it, but still...

Growing/unfolding sliders (such as the one I mentioned before) are a solution to
the space problem.

That said, I reckon that adding a few knobs here and there looks cool :) It can
bring some graphical balance and eye-candy, which may be very important. When
you make music, the UI look & feel has some emotional influence on you.

--
  Olivier