[LAD] Mouse/knob interaction

David Adler david.jo.adler at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 22:15:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 10:18 PM,  fons wrote:
> BTW, the main reason why mixers have linear faders is *space*.
> A really big rotary knob provides much better control than any
> linear fader. But it doesn't allow a for design with just a few
> centimeters per channel strip. So as mixer channel counts went
> up, the only solution was a linear fader.

Interesting and plausible, I've never thought of that reason.
I'd still call the reason I previously thought to be the main
one a major one:
Linear faders allow control of more than one parameter
simultaneously with one hand. This may be less accurate
than using a dedicated hand for each parameter but it's
useful, especially for channel volume (where the linear ones
are mostly applied). Besides, it's another reason to build
narrow mixer strips.
And it is another advantage of physical faders/knobs
towards a digital pointer device. Multitouch screens may
improve the situation but they still lack the mechanical
feedback provided by tangible physical objects.

best,