[LAD] Basic Question: SND/SOUND Libraries Seem to be Missing

Rory Filer rflyer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 23:08:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

> On 09/13/2010 07:49 PM, Rory Filer wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Rory,
> >>
> >> You're not missing a library but some other kernel modules which provide
> >> those symbols.
> >>
> >> After installing the kernel, run 'depmod' and try to load the module
> >> with 'modprobe snd-dummy' instead of 'insmod snd-dummy.ko'.
> >>

> > Hi Robin,
> >
> > I appreciate your reply. Unfortunately my embedded system doesn't have
> > depmod configured so I'll have to try adding it to Busybox first.
>
> depmod/modprobe is basically just a handy way to automatically load
> module dependencies. It may or may not be overkill for an embedded system.
>
> FWIW, you should be able to run 'depmod' to generate modules.dep on the
> system where you built the kernel. The target system only needs modprobe.
>
> Did you try to run 'insmod snd.ko snd_pcm.ko' manually before the
> 'insmod snd-dummy.ko'. That should work as well.

Hi Robin,

It was reply-to munging that got me on that previous reply.

I think there might be some weird stuff with the build/make utility on my
target
which builds the sound files but isn't seeming to include them in my kernel
image.
I'll try and figure out all that before rattling the list again.

Thanks for your assistance.

Rory