[LAD] Mouse/knob interaction

Olivier Guilyardi list at samalyse.com
Tue Sep 14 10:43:55 UTC 2010

On 09/14/2010 05:07 AM, hermann wrote:

> Okay, when you have generic Desktop rc-style files in mind, maybe libgxw
> isn't the solution, I have more something like this in mind:
> http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5087/screenshot027x.png
>
> I guess with a ordinary GTK RC Desktop style file it will look ugly.

The knobs I'm thinking about would be fully themable, so you should be able to
integrate them into that kind of interface by overriding styles with a rc file
provided by your app. I know that it's a bit controversial, apps shouldn't
bundle/override users' styles according to GTK rules, but some compromise should
be possible.

That said, I'm not really thinking about photorealistic knobs. If you need that,
libgxw or phat are maybe the way to go. I'm more into making a minimal
well-designed knob, in the /spirit/ of Ableton Live. I think that Thorsten's
ideas go into that direction, which I do like, and which could fit in a variety
of UIs.

Actually, it's not really a knob. It's a rotary control *and* level meter. I'd
call it a wheel.

--
  Olivier