[LAD] Mouse/knob interaction

Johannes Kroll jkroll at lavabit.com
Tue Sep 14 16:26:49 UTC 2010

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 12:39:05 +0200
Olivier Guilyardi <list at samalyse.com> wrote:

> On 09/11/2010 10:45 PM, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 19:36 +0200, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
> >
> >> Also, the phat knob, with its large orange/blue border provides better
> >> visualization IMO. I am however quite sad that in both cases, phat and libgxw,
> >> no SVG source is provided.
> >>

> > That's the knob animation I use in nekobee.  I was going to try to
> > recreate it in pure cairo - at the moment the "new" cairo knobs just use
> > cairo surfaces to blit the appropriate frame of animation.
>
> In my experience it's hard to write code that draws something as cute and smooth
> as the phat knob. Ah, actually, I think that JUCE has that.. Needs checking.

Juce uses its antialiased drawing code to draw the knob. This requires
no image resources and enables displaying the rotation precisely, it
can be scaled and it's themable (by changing the colours). I think it's
a good way to do it. I don't like realistic-looking knobs very much, to
me it looks always very 90s-Windows-VST-interface-ish, but that's a
personal preference thing I guess.