[LAD] ADAT digital audio receiver and transmitter circuit

Tim E. Real termtech at rogers.com
Sun Sep 19 21:01:25 UTC 2010

On September 18, 2010 07:50:01 pm Niels Mayer wrote:
> Is there a mass-market (a cheap module from china/taiwan/hongkong)
> equivalent of the OptoRec and OptoGen , which could be usefully hooked
> up to a few of these:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230418195291
> to make a useful multichannel D/A for an ADAT lightpipe ; the optorec
> could likewise be paired with external A/D's or used to "vampire" an
> I2S signal from external digital gear w/o digital outputs.
>
> Also, experience with assembling and/or using the OpenRec/OptoGen?
>
> http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/Digital_audio/11329401182.html
> OptoRec and OptoGen
>
> ADAT digital audio receiver and transmitter circuit
>
> These kits is [sic] an 8-channel interface circuit using the ADAT
> protocol. They supports the sample rates 44.1 and 48kHz and up to 24
> bits.
>
> The boards can be used for adding an ADAT input to a DAC, an ADAT
> output to an ADC or for DIY projects. The receiver board includes an
> ADAT input, ADAT output, a wordclock input and I2S outputs. The
> transmitter board includes an ADAT output and I2S inputs.
>
> The kits use SMD parts, so some SMD experience may be needed to
> assemble the board. SOT-23-5 parts are used, so a fine-tipped
> soldering iron (or SMD tools) is needed.
>
> It's that "SMD experience"  needed part that really gets me. I will
> invariably get a blob of solder bridging two SMD pins, and then in the
> course of trying to correct my mistake manage to get it bridging a few
> more pins and melting the ic or lifting the pad of the pc board.
> there's a reason i went into software. The undo key.
Send it to me! I'll do it!
Replacing 100+ pins SM ICs by hand is something we specialized in every day
 for many years in our repair shop.
When you can't afford high priced rework stations, you learn to do without.

A Sony technician taught us one method in our arsenal:
When soldering, just go nuts with soldering all the pins, don't worry about
 bridges. Then you use solder wick to remove all the bridges. Then
 do some fine touch-ups with the iron. This method worked quite well in
 many cases. A fine dental pick or equivalent tool helps, to run in between the
 pins as you are touching up with the iron.

Tim.