[LAD] boxyseq update (but still not end user usable)

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Tue Sep 28 13:27:59 UTC 2010

Excerpts from James Morris's message of 2010-09-28 12:40:22 +0200:
> Hi,
>
> BoxySeq is still very far away from suitable for end users, but I've
> decided to post an update here to let people know that I'm still
> working on it :-)
>
> "The classification of what BoxySeq is, resides somewhere between
> sequencer and arpeggiator. The core concept of BoxySeq is to use a
> window-manager-like window-placement-algorithm to generate pitch and
> velocity data as it sequences events in real time (via the JACK Audio
> Connection Kit’s MIDI API)."
>
> More details of how it (should) work(s):
> http://github.com/jwm-art-net/BoxySeq/wiki
>
> My latest demo with BoxySeq connected to Yoshimi and recorded in mhWaveEdit
>
> http://jwm-art.net/art/audio/boxyseq_demo_28_09_2010.ogg
>
> (the demo utilizes a simple pattern which feeds into 8 boundary boxes.
> i move the boundaries around, switching them to blocking mode and back
> to play mode for various melodic arpeggiated effects etc).
>
> Since the last time I posted to LAD/LAU I've increased some usability features:
>
> Improved boundary movement/resize code.
> Added zoom functionaility
> Added scrollbars.
> Added keyboard shortcuts.
>
> (select a boundary by hovering mouse over it)
> left,right,up,down  move selected boundary 1 unit in that direction
> b, B - make the boundary turn all events into Blocks (ie events which
> don't emit midi messages but are still placed)
> i, I - make the boundary Ignore all events.
> p, P - make the boundary Play all events as normal               _
> -    - bring the boundary closer to the front of the boundary
> list\___slightly confusing I know
> +    - move the boundary further toward the end of the list      _/
>
> that's about it - but it feels like I've done a whole lot more.
>
> the next step is to get one of the most fundamental features of
> BoxySeq working, and that is to allow the user to create static block
> boxes (these can be placed anywhere in the grid and prevent a boundary
> placing any events in that location). Unfortunately it's not quite as
> straightforward as it sounds.
>
> Cheers,
> James.

Hey James, your demo sounds nice. I already had fun with it some time
back, right after you added a second box. Playing with boxes while
feeding the midi to phasex was enough to keep me busy for a while, so I
better don't touch it now :P