[LAD] pixmap based knob widgets and theme integration.

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Sep 29 01:54:19 UTC 2010

On Tue, September 28, 2010 1:18 pm, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
>> I just thought of another method in this vein. Pinch to increase volume
>> ans as the volume increases the widget becomes extruded... Tap to
>> decrease
>> volume and double tap to mute.
>>
>> Or on a similar note, stroke two/three fingers repeatedly to increase
>> volume. Pinch and hold to decrease ;-)
>
> clearly, you touch geeks don't read createdigitalmusic carefully enough:
>
> "Using the trackpad for a live control surface is a bad idea at least
> it was for me. My last gig I ended up having to perform a track which
> my live set was not setup for. A drop of sweat hit the track pad and
> made it functionally useless, it was a nightmare- I ened up having to
> stop the music to clean it off- This is also the reason some other
> touch surfaces fail in a live setting- like Stanton’s Da Scratch. "

Nah, we just record our sets before we go live and pretend we are doing
something in front of the audience. It makes it easier to get drunk and
pick up when you can spend the whole gig posing and preening ;-)

I thought of couple more:

Rub a button and it swells while increase volume tap and hold or pinch to
decrease. In this case the button could also pulsate when at different %'s
of the scale and throb when at 0 gain. I'm not going to say what happens
if you go over unity or maintain the level at unity for prolonged
periods...

A 3d stick attached to a central pivot point rotating around the pivot.

A central light source with a wheel on the side. As the wheel is scrolled
the light glows brighter/softer.

All of these interactions can be achieved with single mouse pointer and
modifiers. Don't even require multitouch so far.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.