[LAD] a case for a knob control standard?

pete shorthose pshorthose at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 19:50:12 UTC 2010

On 28/09/10 20:00, hermann wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 28.09.2010, 18:44 +0100 schrieb pete shorthose:
>
>> if there was a standard that described the expected behavior of commonly
>> used
>> (or just useful) knob control methods, perhaps in the form of a short draft
>> specification on freedesktop.org, would people (ie developers) use it?
>>

> Sound's like a good Idea, but I believe that it would only work when
> standard GUI tool-kits provide the knob control functions.

in theory it would work with anything that bothers to implement it.

>   That will be
> the first step to standardise knobs/circular controllers.

coincidentally perhaps. i'm only interested in bringing about some
consistency for the end user without placing an onerous or
restrictive burden on developers. i'm not wildly optimistic about
even that modest goal to be honest. much like the related
debate RE to use knobs or not, it's a nicety, an optimisation only.
for the most part, we are flexible enough to use what ever is
put in front of us after a moments adjustment. the "problem"
is not quite irritating or obstructive enough for a solution to
materialise as a matter of course.

i still think it's worth doing, but you have to be pragmatic. if there's
insufficient appetite for it (and i'm not seeing it as of yet) it won't
happen.
which would be a shame, but hardly the end of the world.

cheers,
pete.