[LAD] Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch

Robin Gareus robin at linuxaudio.org
Thu Sep 30 14:21:27 UTC 2010

On 09/30/10 13:35, Louigi Verona wrote:
> As for JACK support.... would anyone be interested in adding it, if it is
> trivial? Would love to have it in my audio chain.

At second glance: it's not going to be that easy. The built-in player
makes use of mutex-locks which would need to be replaced with a
[lock-free] ringbuffer (Adding JACK I/O is still trivial but without
lock-free buffers paulstrech would be able to block jack-processing and
cause x-runs).

That'd be a good job for someone who wants to get started with JACK and
C/C++ programming.

I don't know if Nasca Octavian Paul is subscribed to this list and if
he's still actively developing it; but it would be the best to ask him
first.

The missing ringbuffer is most likely the cause of the already known bug
"sometimes the playback is choppy" listed at the bottom of
http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

If no-one else volunteers I could do it to take get my mind off things
during some short-distance flights next week-end.

Cheers!
robin