[LAD] Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Thu Sep 30 22:09:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 22:41:33 +0200
Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Robin Gareus's message of 2010-09-30 16:21:27 +0200:
> > On 09/30/10 13:35, Louigi Verona wrote:
> > > As for JACK support.... would anyone be interested in adding it, if it is
> > > trivial? Would love to have it in my audio chain.
> >
> > At second glance: it's not going to be that easy. The built-in player
> > makes use of mutex-locks which would need to be replaced with a
> > [lock-free] ringbuffer (Adding JACK I/O is still trivial but without
> > lock-free buffers paulstrech would be able to block jack-processing and
> > cause x-runs).
> >

> > That'd be a good job for someone who wants to get started with JACK and
> > C/C++ programming.
>
> I'd be interested.
>
> It would likely take me some time though, and maybe some guidance, but
> it's something I want to learn. I dabbled in C but can only read simple
> code. I start to study computer science next week, which will give me
> access to the library at least, to K&R and a bunch of others.
> The lectures at university are mostly in java but C is required at some
> point, and I guess it's better to start learning it sooner rather than
> later, besides, it seems to be needed for all the neat audio stuff ;)
>
> So yeah, I guess I should get the code, put it in a git repo and just
> start hacking...
>
> > I don't know if Nasca Octavian Paul is subscribed to this list and if
> > he's still actively developing it; but it would be the best to ask him
> > first.
> >
> > The missing ringbuffer is most likely the cause of the already known bug
> > "sometimes the playback is choppy" listed at the bottom of
> > http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/
> >

> > If no-one else volunteers I could do it to take get my mind off things
> > during some short-distance flights next week-end.
> >
> > Cheers!
> > robin

I don't know what Paul is up to these days, but I do know that he made
some additions to ZynAddSubFX fairly recently (the main development
of this is being handled by others now).

I've exchanged a few emails in the past, and found him very
approachable - but do bear in mind English is not his native language!

Also, he must be getting on a bit now ... at least in his thirties :P

You might also like to chat with Alan Calvin (Cal) who is working on
Yoshimi, a derivative of Zyn. and doing special work on improving the
jack interface.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk