[LAD] Writing an IEEE 802.1BA (AVB) compliant network backend for Jack2

Adrian Knoth adi at drcomp.erfurt.thur.de
Tue Apr 5 11:44:31 UTC 2011

On 04/05/11 11:53, Christoph Kuhr wrote:

Hi!

> apparently the ASUS 890FX mainboard has a yukon 88e8059 nic, which i
> have not verified yet.

To be precise, it's only the Crosshair IV Formular 890FX, all others
either have Realtek or Intel.

> the marvell yukon 88e8059 specs say this nic is avb ready.

Indeed, at least if we believe the little PDF provided by Marvell.

I don't know exactly what this means, it seems they support multiple
RX/TX queues, so AVB packages might end up in a priority lane while bulk
traffic is handled via a different queue.

They also support hardware timestamping. The Linux driver in question is
sky2, in sky2.h, they already have some PTP related defines, but the
sky2.c doesn't make use of them.

I hence CC'ed Stephen who happens to be the author of this driver. Maybe
he could provide some insight.

Cheers