[LAD] Max V. Mathews (1926-2011)

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Apr 22 20:45:08 UTC 2011

On Friday, April 22, 2011 04:38:36 PM Brad Garton did opine:

> On Apr 22, 2011, at 3:11 PM, Folderol wrote:
> > I think it a great shame that none of today's kids seem to be taught
> > about these people. or given any clue about how ideas from different
> > people build on each other.
>
> "none" is kind of  broad paintbrush, I think.  The above is not true of
> the classes we teach at the CMC.  I've usually played "Bicycyle Built
> for Two" by the second week of the term.
>
> brad
> http://music.columbia.edu/~brad

Good for you Brad.  These gung-ho music types (and I don't mean that to be
derogatory) need the history lesson even if it chokes them to get it down.
"Test in the morning, folks".

OTOH, many of our 'naturals' never got anywhere near a class like that, and
have made millions.  But those 'naturals' also are quite likely to have
learned it on their own just because its part of the legacy of the field
they produce new music in.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)