[LAD] Finding ALSA sequencer client/port numbers

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Fri Apr 22 23:43:03 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 07:22:59PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> i don't think so. but since, as dave pointed out, there is no
> particular mapping between client IDs and names, there's really no way
> to do this. i think. like i said, i consider the whole design totally
> FUBAR'ed. if you use numeric ID's you're screwed because the client ID
> may change; if you use names, you're screwed because you can't map
> reliably from names to the numeric ID's required by the API. that's
> how it looks to me, anyway.

Things seem to be that way...

Regarding 'less than useful' interfaces, I just discovered
another one.

I want to use a Thinkpad's motion sensors for sound control.
You can read them from '/sys/devices/platform/hdasp/position',
which produces a string in the form (x,y). All good so far.
But opening that file and reading a line from it say every
50 ms just repeats the same values. To get updates you have
to close and re-open the file each time...

Ciao,

--
FA