[LAD] jack routing vs pulse routing

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Apr 23 15:15:24 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 6:25 AM, James Morris <jwm.art.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm familiar with JACK but not at all with Pulse, but while doing a
> little research to sum up various Linux audio APIs on a user group
> list I keep seeing claims* that at first sight suggest Pulse is
> capable of doing the audio routing with low latency that we know and
> love JACK for doing.

these claims are wrong. lennart (Pulse's lead developer) would be the
first to admit this.

> Can someone sum up the differences between JACK and Pulse in this regard?

you might start with the JACK FAQ

the most important differences are that JACK is 100% synchronous and
Pulse is not. there are many other differences but this the core
difference. Pulse uses a "push" model in which clients deliver data to
the server. JACK uses a "pull" model to force clients to deliver data
on time, and in order.