[LAD] Cue2ddp Release 0.8.3a

Andreas Ruge andreas.ruge at gmx.de
Fri Dec 2 23:49:00 UTC 2011

> I studied the licence agreement, and didn't see anything preventing the
> release of the code in free software. Yet I'm no lawyer and I would
> advise you to ask the FSF (info at fsf.org) if you'd like to release the
> source code as free software.
I've written them, let's see if they have time to answer.

> I did see however that "DDP(R) is a trademark of DCA, Inc." and that you
> have to affix that notice to your software and documentation.
Yes, I wouldn't mind at all, but I think the GPL minds this kind of
giving credits.

BTW, doing some research I've found two other applications with
source available, which deal with DDP, from reading the source I'd
guess they had access to the spec, but it's hard to tell for sure.
"dvdtape" is GPL, and "XLD" (for MAC OSX) should be GPL, because it
uses tons of GPL libraries (together with other code), but it's own
license I can't find. Both software does not mention any "licensed
from DCA" stuff.

> If you're unable to release the source code pertaining to the DDP
> protocol, I'd suggest you make a closed source library and use that in
> free softwares. This would allow other application (such as Ardour for
> example) to optionnaly have access to the library to generate DDP
> compatible data.
That's what I though I'm doing for now.  If I add support for
reading cue sheets from stdin, then Ardour or any software could
just pipe into it to create DDPs, if they wanted.  Sort of like the
low tech plug-in interface.  But could Ardour even optionally link
to a non-free library?

> As an addition, I also make DVDs and it would be great if your tools was
> able to deal with it somehow. For the moment, I create and author
> everything using free software then master it on DLT (containing DDP
> files) using a Windows workstation for the replication plant.
Have you tried "dvdtape"?  I believe it writes a DDP 2.00 on tape
from an ISO image, could be exactly what you are looking for.  It's
in the repositories.

Regards
Andreas