[LAD] sliders/fans

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Wed Dec 7 19:12:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-11-25 at 05:06 +0100, hermann wrote:
[...]
> But, as a first step, we could possible find a agreement about witch
> controller key will introduce the "fine settings mode", as far I see we
> have "control" or "shift". I will be cool if we could get a agreement
> witch one is to use.

Random thought arrived at while working on the successor to FlowCanavs:

How about using the axis inline with the slider for coarse control, and
the other axis for fine control?  For example, a horizontal fader would
use horizontal drag as a "direct grab" as usual, but the vertical
distance would be used as a fine control.

This saves a modifier, and is more discoverable for it (users are pretty
likely to figure this out by mistake), as well as accurately usable with
one hand.  Could be applied to touch screens, as well.

-dr