[LAD] FFADO midi ports

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 23:12:58 UTC 2011

Hello Thijs,

I think you might be under the impression that FFADO MIDI and ALSA MIDI are
roughly the same, they're not...
FFADO is a backend that you can run JACK on top of. If you run JACK with
the FFADO as the "driver", then JACK will be able to send MIDI commands to
your Saffire. ALSA MIDI is a totally different "MIDI".
The upside: There's a program "a2jmidi" which will put all your ALSA MIDI
ports into the JACK MIDI graph, then you can connect any ALSA MIDI out to
JACK MIDI in, and vice versa.
"a2jmidid" is the name of the package on debian based systems.

Running is usually most benificial like so:
a2jmidid -e &
so that it keeps scanning the ALSA MIDI graph for changes, and will update
the JACK MIDI ports available.

Good luck! -Harry

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:57 PM, thijs van severen <thijsvanseveren at gmail.com