[LAD] FFADO midi ports

thijs van severen thijsvanseveren at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 22:01:56 UTC 2011

2011/12/11 Clemens Ladisch <clemens at ladisch.de>

> thijs van severen wrote:
> > amidi -l should list all midi out ports that are available to amidi,
> right?
>
> It lists all ports implemented by an ALSA kernel driver.  It is possible
> to implement raw MIDI ports in software, but those are not listed.
>
> 123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012
> ALSA's raw MIDI interface and sequencer interface are different.
> Usually, you want to use the latter.  Try "aplaymidi -l".
>
> > Another question: will a usb midi interface list the midi ports under
> alsa?
>
> Yes.

OK that seems to work fine, and the USB midi interface shows up when i run
amidi -l   :-)
i created a virtual midi device that dumps incoming data in a terminal
window (using amidi -p virtual d), and connected the midi input port of the
USB interface to that virtual interface (in qjackctl)
then i connected my FX unit to the usb interface and configured the FX unit
so it sends midi messages
whenever i turn the 'preset select' knob on the FX unit the midi data shows
up in the terminal window

if i then send this midi data back tot the FX unit (using  amidi -p
hw:2,0,0 -S 'C1 09') the unit jumps to the correct preset  :-)
however, this does not work when jack is running.  if jack is running i get

ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:233:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC2D0
failed: Device or resource busy
cannot open port "hw:2,0,0": Device or resource busy

looks like jack claims the device.
this is blocking for me since i need to have jack running for my audio
routing  :-(

any ideas ?

grtz
Thijs