[LAD] More midi related questions

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Dec 14 16:39:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:58 AM, gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
a reboot, shows:

> [gene at coyote ~]$ ls -l /dev/snd/

 [ ... ]

> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  4 Dec 14 08:40 midiC0D0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  3 Dec 14 08:40 midiC0D1
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 13 Dec 14 08:41 midiC0D2
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 14 Dec 14 08:41 midiC0D3

These are the only MIDI raw ports you have.

> So, to which of these should java be sending the actual bytes exactly
> as they would go down the midi cable to a midi capable keyboard?

I have no idea because precisely what devices 0 through 3 are is
entirely device specific.

Here is my system:

crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 10 Nov 17 12:15 /dev/snd/midiC1D0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  9 Nov 17 12:15 /dev/snd/midiC1D1

the first one is the MIDI labelled "MIDI 1" on my Digiface I/O box,
the second one is the one labelled "MIDI 0" on the same box.

In your case, you will likely get a bit more insight by using:

   aplaymidi -l

and

  amidi -l

to see what names ALSA has managed to dig up and associate with each
port. the first command gives an ALSA sequencer view of things; the
second gives the raw MIDI view of things.

> And, is there a utility available that I can use to test send a file
> to one of those midiC0Dn devices?  My tests with cat just resulted
> in a powerdown reboot to recover.

amidi will send stuff to a raw port.