[LAD] Advice sought on project hosting and version control

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 00:03:51 UTC 2011

On 2/12/11, drew Roberts wrote:

> Anyone using git and Gitorious for this? (I have no experience with
> git really but would be willing to learn it for the purposes of this
> project if it makes sense.)

I have experience with both Github and Gitorious.

The big problem with Gitorious is that it doesn't have tickets yet,
whereas Github has them. So if you need a tracker for reports and
feature requests, Gitorious won't work for you. In most other requests
(forking, following, merge requests) they are more or less equal. Some
people also tend to prefer Github, because it has a reliable business
model behind and thus isn't likely to deal with Wikipedia-flavoured
money drain.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org