[LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Mon Feb 21 23:12:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 05:56:58PM -0500, David Robillard wrote:

> > > It is also not portable (depends on X11),
> >
> > I don't care about any system that doesn't support X11. I don't even
> > care about some that do.
>
> Which is why yours is a poor solution. It loses much, and gains little
> if anything.  Making a UNIX only plugin or UI is fine. Making a UNIX
> only plugin API is (in this case) stupid.

Here we clearly don't agree. The method I proposed allows any combination
of host and plugin toolkits, as long as the common factor is X11, and it
doesn't require the host or plugin to know about each others toolkits or
to link with them (which seems to be problem with existing plugins, see
other posts in this thread).

This excludes Windows (TM), but again, I couln't care less.

The only other alternative seems to be that each plugin is either
using the same toolkit as the host, or it becomes a separate app.
The latter doesn't scale. A real-life DAW session could easily have
a hundred plugins. I'm not waiting to see that work.

Ciao,

--
FA