[LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Mon Feb 21 23:18:51 UTC 2011

On 02/21/2011 10:39 PM, David Robillard wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 20:27 +0000, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>> On 02/21/2011 07:20 PM, David Robillard wrote:
>>> On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 20:05 +0000, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> What?  The LV2 UI extension is toolkit agnotic.  It is not gtk based
>>> whatsoever.  Permit me a bit of yelling for emphasis:
>>>
>>> PLEASE DO NOT SPREAD THE MISINFORMATION THAT THE LV2 UI EXTENSION IS GTK
>>> BASED, OR BASED ON ANY OTHER TOOLKIT.  IT IS NOT, HAS NEVER BEEN, AND
>>> NEVER WILL BE.
>>>
>>> Sure, you (as a Qt person) don't like that most existing UIs happen to
>>> have been implemented in Gtk.  This is a problem with how we have
>>> implemented UIs though, and not a problem with the UI extension itself.
>>> That is, this is precisely the sort of problem that shows we need a
>>> library to abstract this stuff (i.e. you are perfectly free to implement
>>> Qt UIs, but then Gtk host authors have the same gripes).
>>>

>> Dave,
>>
>> please,
>>
>> you certainly know that most lv2 gtk plugins out there do break this
>> whole "agnostic" paradigm--tell me one which doesn't? yep. the ones on
>> lv2_external_ui. shall i rest my case? no.
>
> I said the LV2 UI extension is toolkit agnostic.  It is - i.e. it
> supports any toolkit.

on my pov it doesn't. or iow. it just drops the baby no matter whether
there's any water in the bathtub :)

the lv2 ui extension just quietly assumes the host knows what to do with
an opaque "widget" handle, which i rather say is the whole problem point
of this discussion.

i'm not saying lv2_external_ui is the ultimate and correct solution but
quite frankly it is not that wrong as you try to convince me. again, it
might be simply as wrong as using the bare lv2 ui. the lv2_external_ui
was the only solution we had and still...

anyway, the lv2 ui extension _needs_ to be extended. to be "de facto"
toolkit agnostic. the only thing that stepped in in a while was, yep
again, lv2_external_ui. it is not perfect, but it helped :)

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org