[LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Feb 22 16:01:58 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 02:46:35PM +0100, Nick Copeland wrote:

> Fons, you are tripping up over your own arguments here. Firstly you state that a
> well written app should divorce itself from the underlying medium, then you are
> arguing that they actually should be using the underlying X11 to be able to be a
> distributed app.

X11 hides the hardware and allows the app to be independent of it, just as do
Jack for audio, sockets for networking, etc. Do you suggest that I should not
use Jack or sockets because e.g. Windows doesn't have them (natively) ?

> This is a contradiction

It isn't. X does abstract the HW. And even more.

> and, for example, just because I know
> about this app and how it works, bristol can work headless without X11 as it takes
> an abstract transport layer in a similar way to the one you are arguing both for and
> against. You simply do not need X11 for distributed processing or at least if you are
> dependent on it then, as you state yourself, your solution is badly written.

And how does Bristol run remotely but with a local display if not by either
X forwarding, or having some ad-hoc code to split the app into two parts ?
The latter has to be redone for each and every application, if you ever
want to use it remotely.

> > If 'a generation of users' is any reference, we should just forget about
> > Linux, switch to Windows and call it a day. We should also eat only fast
> > food, believe everything the TV news and ads tell us, hate strangers and
> > homosexuals, and generally be ignorant about everything. There's probably
> > no argument more irrelevant than this sort of populist ones.
>
> Sarky today. My point is that a generation of users is used to not having to rely
> on as banal and cumbersome a method as that offered by X11 to distribute their
> processing - there are other ways it is being done.

How ?

Ciao,

--
FA