[LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Tue Feb 22 16:48:39 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Paul Davis's message of 2011-02-22 03:14:31 +0100:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
>
> > This excludes Windows (TM), but again, I couln't care less.
>
> It also excludes OS X, which despite having "X11 support" isn't really
> what you mean by "supports X11".
>
> at some point, focusing on X11 will  also start to exclude the next
> generation of linux UI systems which are not going to be X11 (even
> though they are re-using a lot of the internal code and can host X11
> windows). once you've seen them in action, i think that even you will
> be a believer :) I'm talking primarily about Wayland
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_%28display_server_protocol%29

--snip--

I'm not sure it helps to talk about wayland, it seems to be very much
future music. It seems ubuntu and fedora talk about a year or so, but
after reading up about its current state (three years of development so
far, pretty much proof of concept, working with some drivers only,
crashing all over the place in the video demos) it seems to me that five
years is a more realistic estimate (rather longer if we talk about
replacing X). Just my guess, but it seems far from being in a reliably
working state, so it's future music.
Also, I don't see what's supposed to be so great about it, besides
removing X11 cruft.