[LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Feb 23 10:59:54 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Alexandre Prokoudine's message of 2011-02-23 10:52:44 +0100:
> On 2/23/11, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
>
> > Again I disagree, in my opinion web UIs have exactly one benefit and
> > many drawbacks. The benefit is that they can be accessed from anywhere
> > with an internet connection and sufficiently capable browser (which is
> > pretty much everywhere these days) without installing anything. The
> > drawbacks are too many to list really but I'll try to show some with an
> > example or two:
> >
> > Example number one is the CUPS web interface, accessible using the
> > obvious address http://localhost:631. First of all it gives me the
> > creeps every time I have to use it, because I have to use the browser to
> > modify my system.
>
> So problem number one is that you have old-fashioned view on system
> configuration.

That might be, I don't see why a new way would be necessary or
benefitial, especially if the new way is to configure a local
system using a web UI.

> > Besides that the interface is slow and buggy, despite running on the
> > same machine. I wouldn't call it a good interface in general.
>
> So problem number two is that because CUPS's UI is bad, you
> extrapolate that on other web UIs. Very interesting.

No, I talked about specific examples instead of talking out of my arse.

> > The other example is google docs/spreadsheet which I have to use
> > sometimes. There are the obvious privacy concerns, it should be clear
> > that giving your possibly sensitive data to what's probably the worlds
> > biggest Ad company isn't a good idea.
>
> So problem number three is conspiracy theories.

This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories at all, and google not
the topic here.

> > the way of the user interface. You want keyboard shortcuts to make your
> > life easier? Forget it, chances are the browser will chew them, all you
> > get is the mouse.
>
> So problem number four is that you have no idea whatsoever about
> possibility to use hotkeys in a web app. Just FYI Gmail has lots of
> shortcuts for both replying, forwarding and navigation between mails.
> I use it all the time. Why you have no idea it is possible with AJAX
> -- I really couldn't say. But you said something about
> short-sightedness :-P

I know that shortcuts are possible, I tried it before writing my mail,
but they are limited, and the limits may change from browser to browser,
system to system, and you use many different systems all the time,
otherwise you wouldn't need a web UI.

> > Accessibility? Forget it, text browser don't do JS.
>
> So the problem number five is being one of few hundred people around
> the globe who still use text browsers in the world of Firefox, Chrome,
> Opera, Safari and IE.
>
> Ever heard of http://www.w3.org/WAI/ btw?
>
> In other words, most of your points are made on the basis of you not
> being up to day with modern technologies.

I'm thinking mostly about blind users when I talk about accessibility,
and I'm not sure how usable graphical browsers are for the blind.

Might be that I'm not up-to-date, but I don't see a reason to be.
Especially JS, which seems to be at the heart of the 'modern' web, is
for me associated with security, privacy and compatibility problems as
well as lack of user control while tangible benefits are hard to find.

> > Sorry, I could rant on forever.
>
> Pray continue. I love reading stuff like that.
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine
> http://libregraphicsworld.org

I'd rather like to see examples of good web UIs including an explanation
of their benefits over conventional UIs instead of 'you'r so uncool'.
Maybe you can show me at LAC?