[LAD] LAD Activity (WAS: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb)

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Wed Feb 23 16:40:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 13:01 +0200, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
> 2011/2/23 Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com>:
> > On 2/22/11, David Robillard wrote:
> >
> >> I have a working plugin (called "dirg") that provides a UI by hosting a
> >> web server which you access in the browser. It provides a grid UI either
> >> via a Novation Launchpad, or in the browser if you don't have a
> >> Launchpad. Web UIs definitely have a ton of wins (think tablets, remote
> >> control (i.e. network transparency), etc.)
> >>
> >> I also have a complete LV2 "message" system based on Atoms which is
> >> compatible with / based on the event extension.  Atoms, and thus
> >> messages, can be serialised to/from JSON (among other things,
> >> particularly Turtle).
> >
> > Any of them available to have a look at?
> >
> >> Currently dirg provides the web server on its own with no host
> >> involvement, but every plugin doing this obviously doesn't scale, so
> >> some day we should figure this out... first we need an appropriately
> >> high-level/powerful communication protocol within LV2 land (hence the
> >> messages stuff).
> >
> > Where do you stand with priorities now? That sounds like something
> > very much worth investing time in.
> >
> > You see, one thing I'm puzzled about is that you have beginnings of
> > what could be significant part of a potentially successful cloud
> > computing audio app, and then you talk about how donations don't even
> > pay your rent :)
>
> Before I totally forget about it... I think it might be a very clever
> thing to do to have some web-based thing (wiki or whatever, ideally a
> social network kind of thing) were LAD people can notify of what they
> are working on and what are their plans, so that it's easier to: a.
> know about it and b. start cooperations, etc.

There's Planet LAD, made for this reason a while ago. RSS and a planet
is definition The way to do this, IMO. I am subscribed to it in my feed
reader and keep up to date. If everything interesting going on was
pushed on the feed, it would indeed be very nice...

> For example, Dave is doing lots of stuff that I plan to reuse, but I
> only know it because I happen to lurk on #lv2 on freenode from time to
> time, and the same goes for lots of stuff I'm seeing coming out
> lately.

Yeah, been meaning to blog more, what can I say :)

I'll throw one out today about the UI stuff, anyway. Qt plugins embedded
in Ingen working at least somewhat via a library, with minimal nuisance
on either end.

-dr