[LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Feb 24 15:23:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 08:02:21AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> i don't agree with you that its about a type of music. it is about the
> difference between some different ways of producing music, and not
> just two of them. there are certainly approaches to making music that
> are not well served by a DAW. but they are approaches to the
> production of music, not kinds of music.

Well, 'type' or even 'a particular type' can refer to a leaf node
in the taxonomy or to a quite solid branch of it.
The are classes of music that depend on sequencing etc. in order to
be produced at all - that's why people involved in them want those
features in the first place. I don't think it's wrong to call this
'a particular type of music', the type is defined by its dependence
on those tools.

> i think you're wrong. its not that a DAW represents one particular
> musical culture, it just reflects some cultures of music production
> and not others.

Indeed, see above.

> the notion that there is ever "one tool" for a task as
> incredibly varied as producing music is absurd. nobody with half a
> brain suggests that any DAW can be that tool.

Then maybe the term 'DAW' is misnomer. I wouldn't call a tool
that can't do simple four point editing an 'audio workstation'.
The sad fact here is that Ardour probably has 99% of the code
required to do it. The final 1% is missing because the concept
doesn't exist in the mindset of the developers. And by that I
don't want to suggest they are too stupid for it (as some may
choose to interpret my words), but just that they are focussed
on a 'type', 'class', 'category' or whatever you may call it
of music that doesn't require it.

> not to be mercenary about it, but the difference is that if your needs
> were that important and not being met by anything available to an
> intolerable degree, you could (or some organization could) choose to
> pay to have your needs met and not face any licensing/access issues in
> doing so..

Well, I could pay or I could offer my time as a developer. During
the last five years I have several times offered to integrate decent
multichannel or AMB panning into Ardour, provided I could team up
with someone taking care of the GUI aspects (I'm a nitwit regarding
writing for GTK). Nothing has happened. I've arrived at the point
where it quite clear that if I want certain functionality I'll be
on my own to implement it.

Ciao,

--
FA