[LAD] Realtime threads and security

Olivier Guilyardi list at samalyse.com
Fri Feb 25 16:49:16 UTC 2011

On 02/25/2011 05:33 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

> the point is that both OS X and contemporary linux have mechanisms
> that prevent RT scheduling from locking up the system.
>
> linux distributions have not adapted to this reality and thus they
> still continue to make RT scheduling inaccessible to users by default.

Maybe that's because such security mechanism are too young in Linux?

Or maybe that any system-wide RT privileges are considered too dangerous?

In these circumstances, maybe that a JACK specific solution could make sense. It
would only need jackd to run as a privileged user (I don't mean root). Maybe
that this would make its way into major distributions more easily than
system-wide RT privileges.

Although I think that granting system-wide RT privileges with a limited runtime
sounds like the best solution. But maybe that this mechanism isn't considered
mature yet.

--
  Olivier